149.8 Surplus Sale

Scott and I got a 19-inch flat-screen monitor yesterday for $40 at the surplus sale our local community college holds every 3 months. He found out about the sale through his work as a security guard. We got there at 6:30 in the morning to get in line. We were numbers 15 and 16 out of 100, so we got a pretty good pick of the things. Number 1 said he had been there since 3. The sale started at 9.

Apparently, most state-run entities sell off the stuff they don't want, at really cheap prices. It reminded me of years ago when we paid my former employer $1 for the metal desk I am still using.

We also bought ten duffel bags in various sizes, for $1 each, and 25 brand-new cassette tapes for $ .75. They had large folding tables for $10, office chairs for $3, book cases for $20, large cabinet cupboards for $25... If we had extra cash right now I would seriously consider buying them out next time and then selling it all for twice as much at a garage sale (which is probably illegal, so not really).

They had a bunch of computers for sale, too, but without hard drives. They had pulled the hard drives to protect state financial info or something, so you would have to buy a hard drive and an operating system and all the software, in addition to paying $40 - $150 for the computers they were selling. They sold every last Apple computer they had for sale, even so. They only sold half of their other computers. Hardly any laptops sold.

I forgot to weigh in yesterday. I am up .6 pounds since Monday morning. Monday we washed the car by hand. I hadn't done that in at least 10 years. Yesterday I shopped at Costco, in addition to shopping this surplus sale. I walked my usual 1.3 miles with the dog both days. Here is what I ate yesterday:

Special K and organic soy milk
Hot chocolate while waiting in the line before dawn
Ritz cheese and crackers snack
El Monterey beef burrito and salsa
3 slices of Costco combo pizza
1/4 cup peanut M&Ms

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Please also sign up to be notified whenever I publish new books!