146.0 Why I Love Spokane, Washington

I paid just $9.89 for this pie-shop pie yesterday, complete with this darling cloth bag to carry it home in. Not having asked the price when I ordered, I about died of apprehension when I saw the waitress pulling out this cloth bag.

"Oh no!" I thought, "It's going to be $25.00!"

I grew up in Southern California. I know I keep harping on that, but if you had grown up there, too (or in Manhattan, London, or Tokyo), you would understand why I do keep bringing that up. The minimum it would cost you to take a pie home in a cute cloth sack like this in Pacific Palisades where I went to high school is $25.00. You might even pay as much as $50.00 for it.  

It was the 4th of July. I had promised myself good apple pie for the holiday. I had lost three pounds ahead of time so that I could enjoy my pie. I wasn't leaving that pie shop without my pie. I made a split-second decision to just suck it up and pay the $25.00.

I was sort of defeated inside, but resigned to paying the $25.00. When she said it was $9.89, I was elated! But that is one of the reasons why I love Spokane, Washington. Prices are reasonable here on everything from pie to electricity. I also love the pine trees, the Spokane River, the deer, the parks, the wholesome high-school students I get to substitute teach, and all the other friendly people.


Look, I know I could have gotten a pie for $5.99 at Costco or maybe even cheaper at Wal-mart. But Shari's Cafe and Pie makes the best pie in Spokane. I have not tried all the pie here, but I talk to people who have, and they assure me this is so. Part of my lifestyle change from fat person to thin person is that treats with flour in them are only for special occasions. My treats are going to be the best of the best!

I lost .4 pounds yesterday. I walked about 5 miles, between taking our dogs to our local park on my own in the morning, walking up and down our street with Scott and the dogs in the afternoon, and walking around in Riverfront Park before we watched the fireworks. Here is what I ate:

Sliced small Gala apple candied with 2 tablespoons chunky peanut butter and 36 dark chocolate chips
El Monterey bean and cheese burrito with salsa
Leftover baked chicken, carrots and red bell pepper
1/4 of a Shari's apple pie
Kid's chocolate soft-serve ice-cream cone at the Carousel Cafe in Riverfront Park

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment! Please also sign up to be notified whenever I publish new books!